The R stock first entered service on the District line of the Underground in 1950. In profile it resembled the pre-war O and P stocks, but was technically very different. Initial deliveries had steel bodies and were painted red similar to all trains at that time. Later batches were delivered in unpainted aluminium and the red cars were later painted light grey to match. They were the first trains on the Underground to be fitted with fluorescent lighting.
In this nostalgic production we see the R stock in service on many parts of the District Line, filmed with original sound including the distinctive whine from the invertors.
The last train of R stock was withdrawn from service on the 4th March 1983. The final tour, which ran in May that year, is also covered by this video.
Produced by - J & K Video
Duration - 55 Minutes
Format - 16:9 Widescreen
Released - March 2016