This is the first installment of the traction review of 2008, which covers the six month period from the start of January to the end of June.
This has been an action-packed period, as locomotive fleet developments and a selection of eye-catching workings continue to provide plenty of variety on the current motive power scene. Aside from the main line action, there were plenty of notable preservation events as well.
So whatever your taste in modern traction, this programme has something for just about everyone!
Freight Traffic and Traction:
- 56057 returns to the main line re-numbered 56311 to work container trains for Fastline Freight.
- Former Freightliner locos 57002 and 57003 running under their own power to Barry for storage.
- 37401 + 37422 hauling HAA coal hoppers from Millerhill to Mossend.
- 47818 rescuing an EWS stone train in Suffolk.
- Riviera Class 47s and Virgin Class 57s working Royal Mail trains.
- The first coal train over the newly re-opened Stirling - Alloa - Kincardine line.
- Two GB Railfreight Class 66s rescuing EWSs Holybourne - Eastleigh oil tanks.
- Re-liveried Advenza Class 57s working scrap metal trains.
- New Fastline Freight Class 66s arrive.
- Royal Mail and DRS diversions following the new year Rugby engineering fiasco.
Passenger Traction, Railtours and Specials:
- 86259 'Les Ross' returns to the main line.
- 73201 heading for storage at Long Marston.
- Class 47s, 57s and 67s on hire to Grand Central.
- Class 87s going into store at Long Marston - and then emerging with new identities for export to Bulgaria.
- DRS Class 20s rescuing a steam charter on the Cumbrian coast.
- Class 25 D7628 working NYMR service trains to Whitby.
- 55022 ventures to Oban and Penzance.
- 47712 and 47802 launch the 'Stobart Pullman'.
- Re-painted Class 67s on WSMR trains to Marylebone.
- Ground-breaking trips to Edinburgh and Whitby for D1015 'Western Champion'.
- 40145 travels to Lowestoft and Aberystwyth.
- The ACTS Class 58 farewell tour in Holland.
- 40145 on the Diggle Route at Marsden with a RHTT in tow.
- 67005 hauling the Royal Train over the Severn Valley Railway.
- Class 31 and DBSO testing.
- The first two Network Rail Class 97s (formerly Class 37s) on main line test runs.
- 31604 and 31454 venture to Largs.
- Three GB Railfreight Class 73s visit Folkestone Harbour.
- The Chiltern Trains 'bubble car' visits London Euston.
- D9009 'Alycidon' visits Quainton Road.
- 73204 going for a spin on the M25.
- 57009 and 57010 hauling a 'stoneblower' from Ashford Chart Leacon to Wymondham.
- 73107 arriving at Moorgate GN underground station with a Network Rail test train.
- D1037 'Western Fusilier' returns to action at the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway.
- 07007, 37275 and 37906 star at the Swanage diesel gala.
News stories, factual information, an astonishing assortment of strange workings and locomotive classes - all mixed with plenty of thrash - make this programme the most comprehensive and authoritative DVD record of the first six months of 2008.
Produced by - Locomaster Profiles
Running time - 100 Minutes