The Midland & South Western Junction Railway was formed in 1884 by amalgamation of the Swindon, Marlborough & Andover and the Swindon & Cheltenham Extension railways. It provided a north–south link between the Midland and the London & South Western railways through the heartland of the Great Western Railway. It also served several military establishments in Wiltshire. It joined the Banbury & Cheltenham Direct Railway at Andoversford with running rights to Cheltenham; its junction with the L&SWR was at Andover.
Passing west of the GWR station at Swindon, it is sometimes referred to as ‘Swindon’s Other Railway’ but was absorbed by the GWR in 1923. The line was closed by British Railways in 1961, apart from a few freight sections that had gone by 1970. The Swindon & Cricklade heritage railway is recreating some of the line from its base at Blunsdon. Several sections of the trackbed have been converted to pleasant walking and cycling routes.
*We offer FREE postage on Amberley Books. Please note we only ship these books to UK addresses.
• Author - Steph Gillet
• 96 pages
• 161 Illustrations
• Size - 234 x 165 mm
• ISBN - 9781445663364
• Publication Date - 15 Aug 2018